Known today as the Old Clarendon Inn, the winery was originally built by Edward John Peake in 1858. The Clarendon Winery won many awards in France for their wine. Early photographs show the southern hill above the town covered in a variety of vines. The Gillards purchased the site and then the Masons. During the Second World War the winery was used as a hospital. Dr. Wilton was the doctor in charge and Connie Harper his assistant. The Masons later developed it as a dairy and orchard.
Judy and Paul Millar purchased the property in 1951 and continued to work it as a mixed farm. In 1971 it was used as a pottery. The three storey building fell into disrepair and in the late 60’s a major part of the building collapsed. It was redesigned and refurbished in 1980 by architect Ian Hannaford and was sold and redeveloped as a venue for entertainment and accommodation. Craft shops, winery, restaurant, bakery and art gallery and motel units were very popular for ten years.
The character has changed several times over the past years but it still remains a venue full of character with a restaurant, bar facilities and regular music events. The vines have been replanted and already some vintages have been made by local winemakers.